Young Chicago Authors provides free 20-week (October-April) literary arts partnership residencies to select Chicago Public Schools.
Schools work closely with a YCA Teaching Artist to create inter- and intra-school programming in preparation for the school’s participation in Louder Than A Bomb, the largest teen poetry slam in the country, and a final school-wide performance.
During these residencies, YCA Teaching Artists visit the school to perform original work, lead a master class, and/or critique student work, depending on the needs of the teacher. Teaching Artists show students different approaches to writing, often using pieces by acclaimed contemporary poets and lyricists as a starting point, and give students writing prompts to begin the work of crafting individual and group poems.
Education Partner schools send a team of four to ten poets to compete at the Louder Than A Bomb Youth Poetry Festival (LTAB) in two preliminary bouts with teams from other schools, with the chance to progress to the quarter- and semifinal rounds and ultimately to the Team Finals competition. Most schools organize a field trip to attend one of the preliminary bouts to show school-wide support for the team. Poetry club members not competing in the team LTAB competition also have the opportunity to compete in ancillary LTAB events, including solo/duo poetry open mics and salons.
Please note that the application deadline for the 2017-2018 school year has passed. Any applications received will be considered for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Free YCA Teaching Artist instruction in class and/or after-school.
- Help in coordinating and recruiting for an after-school poetry club.
- Assistance in preparing for the Louder Than a Bomb tournament, including instruction in both performance and poetry.
- Direct student mentorship from YCA Teaching Artists.
- Waived team registration fee for the Louder Than A Bomb tournament.
- Networking and collaboration opportunities with two other schools in your region.
- Access to Chicago Writes, a unique, Chicago-centered, CPS-approved literary curriculum.
All Education Partnership schools must have:
- A classroom teacher able to support literary arts curriculum delivery and host a YCA Teaching Artist.
- The capacity to conduct regular curricular planning meetings with a YCA Teaching Artist to coordinate in-class and after-school curriculum.
- A dedicated school staff member to recruit and coach an after-school Poetry Club and the Louder Than A Bomb team with assistance from a YCA Teaching Artist.
- Space to run a Poetry Club on campus one day a week across the partnership.
- The ability and capacity to host school-wide poetry engagements.
- The ability to attend a Professional Development (PD) training at the start of the academic year.
- The ability to bring LTAB team, club, and other students from the school to Louder Than A Bomb events every winter (February-March).
Applications for the 2017-2018 year are now closed. Any applications received now will be considered for the 2018-2019 school year. For more information about YCA's Education Partnerships, please contact Heather Roberts, Program Manager, at email@example.com.
Our 2016-17 Education Partners
- Frederick Douglass Academy High School
- Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy
- Innovations High School
- Jones College Prep High School
- Lindblom Math and Science Academy
- Michele Clark Academic Preparatory High School
- Muchin College Prep
- Noble Street College Prep
- Northside College Prep
- Olive-Harvey Middle College High School
- Rudy Lozano Leadership Academy
- Sarah E. Goode STEM Academy
- Simeon Career Academy
- TEAM Englewood
- Walter Payton College Prep
Education Partnership Application
For more information about YCA’s Education Partnerships, please contact Heather Roberts, Program Manager, at heather/at/youngchicagoauthors.org.